Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ad-veg-ture

I've been contemplating this for a while, but now I've officially decided. I'm going to buy one new kind of produce each time I visit the local produce store, until I've tried cooking with every damn thing in the place.

This will take a while. Although I miss the produce sections back in Vancouver, you could hardly hope for better in a neighbourhood market in the midwest. For example, it's happily always stocked with napa cabbage, bok choi (two varieties), shiitake, cilantro, and lemon grass. At the moment there are tamarinds; a few times in the somewhat distant past they stocked enoki. Occasionally there are chinese eggplants and daikon.

Anyway, the selection is great. And there's lots of stuff there I've never touched before.

So, a few days ago I ended up making Indian style opo squash (aka dudhi, and a whole bunch of other names). Dawn says it's now her favourite variety of squash (heh, she likes dudhi). Sometime soon I'll have to figure out something to do with anise, aka fennel (the vegetable, not the seeds). I think the internets are telling me to roast the bulbs and use the tops in salads.

No comments: