Thursday, September 21, 2006

Fringe benefits

A couple of days ago I was on campus, and was randomly accosted by this smiling stranger who came up to me, said hello, told me his name, and then asked me for mine.

An ominous, aggressively friendly opening.

Sure enough, after exchanging names and a few pleasantries, he started proselytising, inviting me to his bible study, yadda yadda. I found myself confronted with the dilemma of either getting into what could turn out to be a drawn-out conversation that I didn't really feel like, or figuring out some way to extricate myself from the situation--and given how focused this guy seemed to be, it looked like that might involve either quick thinking or a touch of distinctly unCanadian rudeness.

Then it occurred to me that I now have access to a quick and easy response.

"I'm a Christian. I already have a church."
"Oh. OK."

This conversion thing is really paying off for me.

I've been reevaluating this way of responding to proselytisers. I think this guy might have been a Jehovah's Witness, and it's possible that a determined JW might respond to a profession of Christian faith by asking a bunch of follow-up questions about it. Usually this is not the desired outcome. Maybe in the future I could say I'm a born again Christian (technically true), which should be enough to convince all but the most foolhardy JW that the prospects of recruiting me are dim.

No comments: